Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Stoner 'shocked' by Kawasaki exit

Stoner shocked by Kawasaki exit

Former MotoGP world champion Casey Stoner says he was shocked by Kawasaki's exit from the sport, but the Australian reckons it is no reason to start panicking.

"It's shocking, to be honest, I really didn't expect it," Stoner told a news conference at Ducati's ski retreat.

"We are trying to keep as many bikes on the grid as possible. I miss the days when there were 25-30 bikes on the grid," the 23-year-old was quoted as saying by Reuters.

"But Kawasaki leaving isn't a reason for everyone to start panicking. I think they are leaving not just because of financial reasons," added the 2007 world champion.

Kawasaki's exit is likely to leave the MotoGP with 17 bikes unless a deal is reached for the bikes to be run by another team.

Stoner added that he did not think reducing the riders' salaries would solve any problems.

"It's not me that needs to give a handout. It's not me sapping the sport. (Money) isn't why I'm in the sport," added the Australian.

The Ducati rider, who had surgery on his wrist following the end of last season, said his recovery was progressing well.

"So far everything is good," he said. "The bone is healing perfectly. I have to take it easy for the next month or so. I don't know if I'm behind schedule but I'm not as far on as I thought I would be."



  • Meet Koufax, the band
  • Aspar want long-term Kawasaki deal
  • Ezpeleta not worried by Kawasaki exit
  • No comments: