Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Accident hampers Toseland at Sepang

James Toseland said he struggled to concentrate on the final two days of Sepang testing after taking a blow to the head when he had a high-speed accident on Thursday.

The Tech 3 Yamaha rider did not suffer any broken bones in the crash, but the bruising, soreness and after-effects of the impact on his head left him off the pace for the rest of the test.

"We were ten laps in and we just went to the harder tyre and unfortunately I didn't put enough temperature in the left-hand side and it high-sided me," Toseland told the official MotoGP website.

"Unfortunately it was at 200km/h and I went pretty far. I'm badly bruised on my arm and legs, but luckily I didn't break anything. I gave my head a bit of a smash as well so I can't really concentrate fully this weekend, unfortunately. I'm still out there riding, but it's been a tough test."

Toseland said he had tried to carry on acclimatising to the new Yamaha despite his injuries.

"I've been doing the same times all three days after the crash, just trying to understand the new bike, new chassis and engine," he said.

"There's nothing much I can do until I get my concentration back and full fitness. It's a really physical circuit around here so I've just been doing as many laps as I can."

While Toseland's test was ruined by the accident, his teammate Colin Edwards had a more productive week, ending up fourth-fastest on Saturday and then parking his bike after just 22 laps.

He felt he had already got to grips with the latest Yamaha and refined the set-up, and that with no tyre testing now necessary there was no need to continue running.

"The new bike is fantastic, really happy with it," Edwards told motogp.com. "It's strange - we've come here for three days and we really don't have a whole lot of work to do.

"There's no point going out there and doing lap after lap after lap for nothing. We haven't done that many laps, but we've done quality laps.

"It's a different way of testing, for sure, now that we only have one tyre, but I'm happy with it."



  • Best-of-seven series a better test
  • Zambrano Game 2’s central figure
  • Pedrosa pulls out of test with knee pain
  • No comments: