Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Melandri admits he considered quitting

Melandri admits he considered quitting

Marco Melandri has revealed that he was tempted to retire from MotoGP as he struggled to get to grips with the Ducati this season.

The Italian had a terrible year at the 2007 champion team, and has now left for Kawasaki.

While his Ducati teammate Casey Stoner won six races and finished second in the championship, Melandri was a lowly 17th in the standings and only took one top five finish.

He admitted that things got so bad by mid-season he began to think about quitting the sport.

"It's been a learning year due to disappointments, but I really can't complain because in June I'd predicted the end of a life stage," he wrote on his personal website.

"I seriously risked giving up during the bad times in my career and throwing it all in."

Melandri felt he had done his best to acclimatise to the Ducati and to keep his motivation intact despite his problems.

"It's not that this year I didn't try my best; on the contrary, I tried everything I could to start every race as if I was going to win," he said.

"But when everything goes wrong and it's meant to be, there's nothing you can do to change fate.

"One thing I've learnt is that at times it doesn't help to ask yourself what's not working and who or what's wrong, because it doesn't improve the future and only makes you worry more and isn't helpful. I believe that at times it's best to let things be, knowing that you've done the best you can."

But while admitting that he came close to turning his back on MotoGP, Melandri says he is now extremely motivated for his new challenge at Kawasaki.

"One day something clicked in my head and I realised that if loads of people still believe in me then I should as well," he said.

"Now I see it differently, it's a bit like a wild card or an added extra because I really thought I was at a crossroads. Now I feel really good, my work is my great passion and I'll give it all I've got because I know I'll have a great time."



  • Watson impresses against former team
  • Melandri: Kawasaki will suit my style
  • No comments: