Monday, November 3, 2008

Toseland aims to be top six factor in '09

Toseland aims to be top six factor in 09

James Toseland believes he will have to deliver consistent top six results in his second MotoGP season to ensure he has a long-term future in the championship.

The Tech 3 Yamaha rider has finished sixth six times during his rookie year and ended the season 11th in the standings. Now he hopes to use those results as a springboard to better things in 2009.

"We need to be competitive next year," Toseland told BBC television.

"We've got to build on this. I need to be battling in the top six consistently next year. I've had six of them this year, but I need to do it consistently next year to keep my job in MotoGP."

Toseland looked like he might manage a career-best finish after he qualified fifth for today's season finale at Valencia, but he tumbled down the order on the opening lap and could only manage 11th.

"I just misjudged (Jorge) Lorenzo off the line and lost some places," he explained. "I had a really good feeling in the first half of this race and was pushing so hard to get past, and I got past twice but made mistakes at the hairpin, which made me really mad with myself.

"Not a great last race, but this one was just to get out of the way so I can build on it next year."



  • Rest provides tonic for weary Revs
  • Toseland aims to finish on a high
  • No comments: