Saturday, October 18, 2008

Toseland aims to finish on a high

Toseland aims to finish on a high

British MotoGP rider James Toseland is aiming to finish his rookie season on a high after equalling his best finish of the season at Phillip Island two weeks ago.

The Tech 3 rider, whose first experience of a MotoGP Yamaha was at Sepang, the venue of this weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix, is confident he can carry his strong form over to Sunday's race.

"I really enjoyed riding around here for the first time and I had two tests here in the winter and they both went pretty well," he said. "I am looking forward to the weekend."

Toseland endured a bit of a slump mid-season following a strong start to the year, and while some of those results can be put down to the varying performance of Michelin's tyre, the former World Superbike champion admits he still has much to learn about MotoGP.

"The beginning of the season was on tracks that I was used to and had experience on," he said. "Then in the middle of the season there were eight new circuits [for me] and the weather conditions have difficult as well.

"But it has been a really good learning year and there is a lot to learn in MotoGP. It has been tough but I have really enjoyed the challenge and it's set us up really well for next season. But I hope to finish on a high and race like we did in Phillip Island.

"I didn't really know what to expect because my whole career has been spent in the Superbike paddock, and it has been a long time," he added. "It's not just learning a new class, but I didn't have any experience of riding with any of the riders, other than Chris Vermuelen.

"But the whole hospitality crew, even the mechanics, I didn't know any of them, so it was like my first day at school. I've made some friends, I've lost a few, but on the whole it has been an enjoyable year."

Toseland added that he did not expect to test the new 2009 Yamaha the week after the season ends at Valencia.

"I don't think it is going to be possible for me to test at Valencia," he said. "Obviously Valentino is the best person to test the bike at the moment, he is not only world champion but he is also the one that has experience on the tyres that it looks like we will run next year.

"If he can get the 2009 package working well on those tyres then that is obviously encouraging for me as well."



  • J.League delegation visits MLS clubs
  • Toseland disappointed by late slump
  • De Puniet aims to stay in top eight
  • No comments: