Friday, August 29, 2008

Stoner reveals recurrent wrist injury

Stoner reveals recurrent wrist injury

Casey Stoner fractured his right wrist during the first day of practice for the San Marino Grand Prix today.

The reigning world champion set the quickest time in each of the two sessions, but afterwards revealed that a broken bone in his hand - a recurrence of an old injury - had been causing him some distress throughout the day.

"It's a really strange one because there has been no impact on it," said Stoner.

"I was just adjusting my back protector before going out for one of my runs this afternoon and I felt some pain. It got worse as the session went on so we decided to check it out.

"I've basically fractured my scaphoid, which is an old injury from 2003. I've just been to the doctors and they said that it could have come from a shake of the bike.

"I've fractured it at exactly the same place and it's causing quite lot of pain in some places. It's not going to be easy and I'll have to take care not to cause any further damage, but my plan is to brace it and compete in tomorrow's sessions."

But the 22-year-old Australian is still confident that he can score his seventh consecutive MotoGP pole position, and says there's more speed to come yet from the Ducati.

"We can still go quite a lot faster," he added. "The things that we tried out at the Brno test seem to be working quite well at this circuit, which is really good for us."



  • Vaughn bides time before return
  • Pedrosa withdraws from Laguna
  • Stoner delighted with fifth pole in a row
  • Revs embrace return to normalcy
  • Red Bulls draw inspiration from Angel
  • No comments: