Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Elias keen on MotoGP future after podium

Toni Elias was delighted with his second place in today's Czech Grand Prix and says he wants to stay in MotoGP for a long time yet.

The Spaniard, whose Alice Ducati contract expires at the end of this season, has been linked with a move to Superbikes but revealed his determination to stay put after scoring his team's best ever result at Brno today.

Elias showed good pace in the practice and warm-up sessions this weekend but only qualified 13th. He made a poor start to the race but charged through the field and passed both works Kawasaki and Suzuki riders to claim second spot behind Valentino Rossi.

"I'm very happy with this result," he said. "We started the weekend really good but yesterday was difficult so I started at the back, then I made a bad start so I was at the back. I passed many riders, I was overtaking riders every lap, and finally I was second. Then I was comfortable with my rhythm and I'm happy, also for my team and everyone around me.

"Everyone is talking a lot about 2009 and Superbikes but I don't know where it comes from. I haven't talked about Superbikes, my mind is in MotoGP, it has always been here, and I want to be in MotoGP for a long time - but in the best conditions possible. I am happy now and we have to work with the team and then we will see for the future."

Although Bridegstone-shod Elias benefited from Michelin's terrible form this weekend, he has been encouraged by the progress the Alice team have made with the Ducati.

"We've suffered a lot this year," he added. "The situation was difficult until we received new parts at the Sachsenring, then things improved a lot. I could have had a podium at Laguna but I made a mistake so we had to wait longer.

"We have been trying to become fast, my feeling has improved a lot and I could start pushing. Now what I want is to continue like this, to be always in the top ten, in the top five if possible, and to fight for a podium if the opportunity comes."



  • Stoner targeting Le Mans fightback
  • Lancaster takes maiden F3 victory
  • Hartley to join Euro Series race
  • Melee mars excellent win for Revs
  • No comments: