Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Capirossi felt podium was possible

Suzuki's Loris Capirossi was happy but felt a podium finish was possible in a tough race at Sepang today.

The Italian was hopeful of a top-three result but a couple of errors late in the race ended any hopes he had of getting on the podium, eventually finishing in seventh place.

"It has been a bit of a tough weekend, but I am quite happy today because I tried 100% all race and when you see a podium place that close it makes you try even harder," explained Capirossi.

"I struggled a bit to get past Colin as our bike still needs more speed to be able to overtake other riders - so that is still something we need to work on. Once I got past Colin I immediately caught up with Casey because he was quite a bit slower over the whole lap than me.

"I tried to overtake on turn two and then ran wide and he came back past, then on the next lap I went into a corner much faster to get past, but I touched the back of his bike and ran off the track! If I had got by Casey earlier I really believe I could have challenged for the podium, but it was not to be."

Teammate Chris Vermeulen was also set for a stronger finish than he achieved, running behind teammate Capirossi before struggling for front-end grip and losing ground, finishing in the points in ninth position.

"It was very hot today and that made it really difficult out there - the track was nearly 20 degrees hotter than it had been all weekend! I got a good start and felt very comfortable on the first lap.

"After a few laps I was right up with Loris and everything seemed to be working well, but I then had a few issues with front-end grip and that continued as the race went on.

"I thought we had enough pace to do better today, but that was the best we could manage and we have certainly taken some steps forward."



  • Rapids’ impressive grit opens doors
  • Buddle gives Galaxy needed jolt
  • Suzuki hopeful of good race performance
  • No comments: