Thursday, October 16, 2008

Toseland disappointed by late slump

Toseland disappointed by late slump

James Toseland was pleased to put in his most competitive ride of the season at Phillip Island, but admitted that it was frustrating to fall back to sixth in the closing laps.

Having qualified sixth, the Briton vaulted to third at the start and then resisted huge pressure from Valentino Rossi in the middle of the race - twice repassing the world champion before the factory Yamaha finally escaped from Toseland's Tech 3 version.

But that battle took the edge off Toseland's tyres, and led to him losing ground later in the race.

"I was really trying to save the tyre - I knew it was going to be difficult for the last five or six laps, and it was," he told BBC television.

"Valentino came past and I had to push to the maximum, and that really just spoilt my chances on the last couple of laps.

"So I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't stay in fourth, because we really should have done."

However, Toseland felt that his dice with Rossi was a milestone in his MotoGP career.

"I really wanted to stay with Vale, because that was obviously a fight for a podium," he said. "But it was nice to pass Valentino Rossi twice, for the first time in my career, and he's an eight times world champion."

Rossi also enjoyed their battle.

"It was a great fight," he said. "I overtook him, and I think I was faster than him, but he overtook me back, and for two or three laps we fought. He was very strong to overtake, but we enjoyed it."

Toseland has had to learn several new circuits this season after joining MotoGP from the World Superbike Championship, but Phillip Island was already familiar to him, as he won there on his way to last season's Superbike title.

He felt the Tech 3 Yamaha was on form this weekend, and that this improved pace combined with his circuit knowledge made a crucial difference.

"All credit to the team, and it's nice to be somewhere I know, it's been great," said Toseland.

"The bike was working great. It's been a long time since I felt this comfortable. I've had good results here in the past and it's nice to come to somewhere familiar."



  • D.C. United disappointed with draw
  • No comments: