Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Rossi always expected Sepang win

Rossi always expected Sepang win

Valentino Rossi said he had always suspected he would win the Malaysian Grand Prix after flying at Sepang during pre-season testing.

The champion took an ultimately dominant victory in today's race after passing early leader Dani Pedrosa at half-distance.

"It was a long, long race and was difficult, but I was prepared because I'd done a lot of simulations at this track in the winter," said Rossi.

"I wanted to win here in Sepang because we worked very hard on the M1 in the winter, and after the second simulation when we were very, very fast, I said to my tyre man 'we will win the grand prix'.

"I knew this track is very good for the Yamaha, and the type of corner is very suitable for my riding style."

Rossi put Pedrosa under pressure early on, before out-braking the Honda rider and pulling away.

"I wanted to try to attack Dani before, but he was very fast on the exit from the slow corners, so it was quite difficult," said the Italian.

"I had to wait a bit, because after five or six laps I looked at the laps remaining, and saw there was 16 left and just tried to concentrate. I was able to get closer and tried to attack. I knew I would have a good pace in front, I pushed hard and was able to take advantage.

"I have much more experience than Dani with these tyres, so it's quite normal that I am a bit faster, and also this weekend we worked very well."

He now hopes to take his tenth victory of the year in next week's season finale at Valencia, but admits that it could be tough to beat Pedrosa on his home ground - where he dominated in 2007.

"I know Valencia is very difficult for me, and also for the M1 it's not the best track," said Rossi, who lost the 2006 title to Nicky Hayden when he crashed at the Spanish circuit, and injured his hand there last year.

"But we've worked very well this year, and I'm due some luck at this track because last year I broke my hand and lost second place in the championship.

"So I want to have a good race in Valencia. I know Dani will be very strong there like he was last year, but we'll try anyway."



  • Buddle adds dimension to Galaxy
  • Rossi happy after ‘tough’ race
  • Revs seek early goal boost at K.C.
  • No comments: