Monday, May 12, 2008

Stoner targeting Le Mans fightback

Stoner targeting Le Mans fightback

Reigning MotoGP champion Casey Stoner is hoping for a turn around in his fortunes at Le Mans, the next round of the season this weekend.

The Ducati rider admits Le Mans isn't one of his favourites tracks but is keen to get his title defence back on track as he currently lies 25 points behind Dani Pedrosa, who leads.

"I haven't had outstanding results at Le Mans in the past," the Australian conceded, "but they have been good and I remember being really fast in practice last year and being confident for the race. Then on Sunday it rained but I still came away with a podium.

"The track itself is not the most exciting. It's more like a go-kart track, the bike has to be really efficient on the brakes but agile at the same time, and quick on the exit of corners. But at the end of the day the objective is still the same, whether you like the track or not.

"We have to work hard all weekend and prepare a competitive package for the race, something we generally always manage to acheive and have the knowledge to do again."

Stoner's Marlboro Ducati teammate Marco Melandri is hoping to continue his recent improved form on a circuit he has had success on in the past.

"I think I can do well there because I won in 2006 and last year I made the podium. Personally, I have always liked this track so hopefully I can get another good result.

"We've shown that we're able to come through a difficult situation and we've made real progress so I can't wait to get back on track now. I feel optimistic and hope we can confirm our progress on a very different kind of circuit to Shanghai."



  • Mygale drivers eye Monza victory
  • Perez eyeing title after first win
  • Vermeulen targets Le Mans resurgence
  • Rossi aims to carry momentum
  • Top riders predict ‘long’ title battle
  • Lorenzo: I won’t be fully fit in France
  • No comments: