Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Edwards content despite falling to fifth

Edwards content despite falling to fifth

Colin Edwards was not too disappointed to be pushed back to the second row at the end of Catalunya qualifying, as he is confident that he has the pace to fight with the leaders in the race.

The Tech 3 Yamaha rider held provisional pole until the final minutes of the session, when he was edged down to fifth as Casey Stoner, Dani Pedrosa, Nicky Hayden and Randy de Puniet improved.

Edwards admitted that he had hoped to start higher than row two, but remains very optimistic about his race chances.

"I had three qualifying tyres and obviously I was trying my hardest for a front row but I'll take fifth because I'm really happy with my race set-up," he said.

"With all the extra grip from the qualifiers I feel like we can go much faster but it never really happened. I did a 41.7 on my first tyre and my last tyre was a 1.41.7, so I hit a bit of a wall.

"I'm fifth and I'm not disappointed with that at all. Today is all for glitz and glamour but tomorrow is the real show and my times on race tyres look pretty good, so if we can repeat that tomorrow we'll be in the hunt."

He believes it will be crucial to stick with the lead pack in the opening laps.

"The key will be getting a good start," Edwards said. "I really need to focus on that and be as hard and aggressive as I can in the first four laps.

"That's when the guys' tyres will start to go off and hopefully I'll be able to go with the leading bunch."

Edwards' teammate James Toseland qualified alongside him in sixth place, and was similarly satisfied - admitting that he had pushed beyond the limit on his best lap.

"I'm chuffed to bits to be on the second row and I'll be honest but I did put it on the line a bit," he said.

"But you have to do that because to give yourself a chance you don't want to be any further back than the second row and thankfully that's where I am.

"The difference between the second and third row is massive and I'm happy to be back in the top six. Everybody is so close it will be crucial to get that good start. I think I can definitely run the pace at the front and I am looking forward to it."

The Briton feels he is still getting to grips with MotoGP qualifying.

"You really need experience on the qualifiers and I'm gradually building up my speed and confidence with them and Michelin is doing a great job," Toseland said.

"Qualifying is amazingly competitive so I'm happy with sixth. These guys will not allow you to blink and I must have blinked on that lap otherwise I would have been higher up the grid."



  • Rossi takes victory in China
  • Qualifying rained off at Monza
  • Mortara wins for VW at Pau
  • Perez charges to second Monza win
  • No comments: