Monday, June 23, 2008

Toseland hugely disappointed with race

Toseland hugely disappointed with race

James Toseland branded his first home race in MotoGP as 'one of the biggest disappointments' of his career after having finished last at Donington Park.

The Briton, who had a difficult qualifying in the wet yesterday, made a good start from the 16th slot and gained a few places but crashed at the first corner.

Despite banging his right hand and losing the right footpeg of his Tech 3 Yamaha, Toseland got back on the bike and carried on with a lonely race that saw him finish a lap down on the leaders.

Having won at this track in World Superbikes, Toseland says he 'soldiered on' for his home fans.

"It is hard to explain just how disappointed how I am," he said. "I really wanted to get a good result for my home crowd but it was always going to be difficult after the problems of yesterday.

"Starting from 16th was always going to be tough but I decided to attack from the start. I made a good start and passed a few people and didn't think I was too fast into the first corner but the rear end came round and I was down.

"I could have just cruised back to the pits but a lot of people had come to see me ride. I was hurting because I hit my head pretty hard and I smacked my right hand down on the tarmac.

"And the right footpeg had snapped off, but I soldiered on because I wanted to get to that chequered flag more than anything. I was going to finish for all those fans, who have been unbelievable supporting me since I arrived here.

"I will bounce back from this but it has got to be one of the biggest disappointments of my career. It is not in my nature to give up and I didn't today, and I know my turn will come.

Despite his disappointment, Toseland paid tribute to fellow Briton Scott Redding, who won the 125cc race - his first at just 15 years of age - earlier this morning.

"I am obviously disappointed, but I have to congratulate Scott Redding. He did an amazing job and it was great for the British fans to see him do that."



  • Dovizioso blames Toseland for collision
  • Devaney hoping for better luck
  • Jakes wins chaotic race at Pau
  • Chilton to start on race two pole
  • No comments: