Friday, June 27, 2008

Edwards rues 'strange' tyre problems

Edwards rues 'strange' tyre problems

Colin Edwards said a confusing tyre problem preventing him from staying in pole contention at the end of qualifying for the Dutch TT.

The Tech 3 Yamaha rider had briefly held provisional pole after putting in an early qualifying tyre run, but slipped to sixth by the end of the session.

"I put my first qualifier on and did a 1:36.2 and I thought 'awesome,'" Edwards said.

"I told my team I could do a mid-1:35 because that first qualifier is always just getting used to the extra traction, so I was really confident and I expected to be on the front row. But on my next set of tyres it just never happened.

"Most corners at this track are right-handers and I had an issue with the right side of the front tyre. It wasn't chatter and it is really strange. I'm not blaming anybody but I can't remember the last time I had this problem.

"But I couldn't go fast and I didn't have the same issue with the first set and I didn't change the bike. I wasn't too worried because I had another set and went out and it was the same problem but even worse on the left side of the front tyre.

"The right was perfect but I was struggling to get my knee on the ground on the left and it was weird. We need to have a look at the data and talk it over with the guys but it has really thrown me because I'm not sure what caused it."

But despite his qualifying problems, Edwards feels he is well prepared for the race.

"I'm ready for tomorrow whether it's raining or not," he said. "I was pleased it rained this morning because we got the bike set-up good for the rain. I can't complain too much being on the second row with some of the problems I had."

His teammate James Toseland will start only 13th. The Briton blamed an error on his final lap.

"I wasn't on a bad lap on the last lap but I had a big moment coming out of the last chicane and lost all my time," Toseland explained.

"I was only eight tenths off the leader in the first three splits so it was looking good for the third row. But that mistake cost me and it is a bit unfortunate. The third row would have been a good result."

Toseland hopes he can now improve the bike for the race, and admitted he is in need of a strong finish after his disappointing British Grand Prix weekend.

"I'm hoping warm-up is going to be dry because at the moment we seem to take a long time to get the set-up," he said.

"We are still looking to improve it again on the day of the race. The bike needs to be sorted for the race after qualifying and we have got to improve in that area.

"I'm still holding my breath at every corner and that's not the way to be riding. I need to get back into the comfort zone.

"I got into the 1:37s at the end on race tyres and other than Casey (Stoner) I think race pace will be high 1:36s and low 1:37s. I'm sure I've got mid-37s in me and that is likely to be fighting for the top six. That's the target tomorrow but I just want a good solid result at the moment. I have got to finish and get a good race under my belt and be back in the top ten."



  • Stoner rues bad tyre compound choice
  • Edwards content despite falling to fifth
  • Qualifying rained off at Monza
  • Rossi rues poor track conditions
  • No comments: