Friday, September 12, 2008

Agostini: Rossi can beat my record

Agostini: Rossi can beat my record

MotoGP legend Giacomo Agostini believes Valentino Rossi could equal his record for most victories in the world championship.

Rossi won the San Marino Grand Prix on Sunday to equal Agostini's long-standing record for most wins in the top category with 68.

The 15-time champion, however, still holds the record for most wins with 122, a record Agostini believes Rossi could match if he continues racing for several years.

"Honestly there was nothing I could do about it," Agostini was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport.

"If he hadn't tied with me here, he would have done so at the next race, it wouldn't have made a difference to me. So it's better to enjoy this celebration in front of the home crowd.

"We are all a bit selfish, and it's clear that when someone takes a record off you, you are a bit displeased. However, I think it's important for him to equal Agostini.

"In any case, I'm left with the records of 122 wins and 15 titles: I care for them and they're no small feat. Can he catch me? At this point he may even do that. I quit at 35, while Valentino is only 29.

"So, if he catches me then we'll have a big celebration together."

Rossi, however, reckons winning another 54 races before he retires will not be easy.

"That's a honour for me," Rossi said on Italia1. "But I promised him I won't reach his other records, because 122 victories - or 123 as he says - is though, and so is 15 titles. However, 68 wins in the premier class, wow!"



  • Improved Crew eye benchmark
  • Borman’s celebration catches eyes
  • No comments: