Thursday, September 25, 2008

Takahashi set for MotoGP move

Takahashi set for MotoGP move

Yuki Takahashi says he is close to completing a deal to graduate to MotoGP's premier class next season, and could test a Honda RC212V at the end of this season.

The 250cc racer is being tipped to replace Andrea Dovizioso at Team Scot, who are expected to announce their plans for next season during this weekend's round at Motegi after confirming that they will split from JiR at the end of the year. Dovizioso is believed to be on his way to the works Repsol Honda team for next season.

Honda are keen to run a Japanese driver in the top class with the Team Scot outfit and Takahashi could sample the 800cc as early as the post-season test at Valencia.

"We're almost certain to move up to MotoGP so I'm really happy about this," Takahashi told MotoGP.com. "I like the team and they're a good fit for me.

"I've never ridden a MotoGP bike before and, although I'm excited, I'm also worried at the same time. It will be an interesting feeling and maybe after this season is over, I will try to ride the 800cc bike."

Takahashi is looking forward to his home race at Motegi this weekend and is hoping to improve on seventh in the championship on the back of his second-place finish in the last race at Misano (the 250cc race at Indianapolis was cancelled).

"I will have a lot of family, friends, and sponsors here, so I want to get a good result. I was ready to ride at the last round, so I was hoping they might have two races here!" he joked.



  • Team Scot and JiR to part company
  • Top of SuperLiga table clash on tap
  • Dovizioso hints at works Honda deal
  • No comments: