Friday, September 12, 2008

Hayden still struggling with injury

Hayden still struggling with injury

Nicky Hayden has admitted that he is still struggling with his injured foot and had considered pulling out of the Misano weekend.

The former champion damaged his right heel in an accident at the X-Games event in Los Angeles during the summer break.

Hayden said this evening that his heel was "not that great" and revealed that he was barely using the rear brake, such is the pain from the split right through the complex weight-bearing bone.

He conceded that he had pondered pulling out of Misano, but felt he needed the mileage prior to his home event at Indianapolis on 14 September.

"It crossed my mind, yes, but I couldn't have gone eight weeks off a bike before going to Indy," he said.

Hayden is especially hampered because he relies on his legs more than his upper body to help the bike change direction. He qualified in 16th place this afternoon - his worst starting position in four years.

His Honda teammate Dani Pedrosa was in a more optimistic mood after qualifying sixth, having begun to regain the pace he was showing prior to being injured in Germany six weeks ago.

"I've improved my rhythm and this is really important to me because I am starting to go fast again," said Pedrosa.

"We worked a lot on the suspension today, the new fork gives me a positive feeling and it gives smoother performance during braking. I'm feeling very motivated but I still need some time to get back up to full speed."



  • Hayden to miss San Marino GP
  • No comments: