Monday, September 29, 2008

Rossi keen to seal title with podium

Rossi keen to seal title with podium

Valentino Rossi has said that he would prefer to wrap up the 2008 MotoGP title tomorrow at the Japanese MotoGP rather than wait until next weekend's Australian Grand Prix.

Rossi currently has an 87 point lead and needs to essentially finish on the podium tomorrow no matter where Casey Stoner or Dani Pedrosa finish.

There are 100 points still in play, but the Italian needs to leave Japan with an advantage of 76 points or more.

"I'm happy if I come third," said Rossi. "My target is the podium. Out of the podium is not the same taste and also out of the podium if Casey wins then I don't win the championship. For me the target is the podium.

"Looking at the lap times today it's possible to fight for the victory but to win the race is another story."

The Italian has clinched all of his previous titles with podium finishes, and is keen to maintain that record.

"For me it's important tomorrow. If not Phillip Island, but tomorrow for sure," said Rossi. "When you have the first match point, it's better you play well...

"In my career I've won the championships in Phillip Island and in Malaysia, but never in Japan, so why not.

"For me (it is important to win tomorrow) after a long season and long pressure so as soon as possible (I want to win the title)."

Rossi's remaining title rivals Stoner and Pedrosa have qualified second and fifth respectively.



  • Rossi prepared for wet race
  • Melee mars excellent win for Revs
  • No comments: