Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Capirossi set to stay with Suzuki in 2009

Capirossi set to stay with Suzuki in 2009

Loris Capirossi says he is on the verge of announcing that he will remain with Suzuki for the 2009 season.

The former Ducati rider has impressed the Suzuki team since joining them this year, and had previously indicated that he would stay on with the squad if he was convinced of their long-term potential.

After today's Sachsenring race, Capirossi told Italia1 television that a contract extension was all but confirmed.

"We are sorted, and we'll definitely make it official at Laguna," he said.

His season has been disrupted by injuries in recent weeks, with a broken hand sustained at Catalunya forcing him to miss the British Grand Prix, and then an arm injury from a practice crash sidelining him at Assen and causing discomfort throughout the Sachsenring weekend.

Capirossi said he was looking forward to being able to ride at full fitness again after taking seventh today.

"I can say I'm happy: today I've managed to get to the end of the race, even though I struggled a bit," he said.

"It will still be tough for me at Laguna, maybe I'll feel a bit better there, but I'll be 100 percent at Brno.

"I'm really fed up with suffering, I want to feel well and enjoy myself a bit more."

Meanwhile Capirossi's teammate Chris Vermeulen refused to be drawn on his future, amid rumours of a return to World Superbikes.

When asked by BBC television if he felt his Sachsenring podium proved he belonged in MotoGP, Vermeulen replied: "I hope so. Right now we might not have the machine to do that, but when things level out we can be competitive."



  • Capirossi pledges future to Suzuki
  • Maki wins second Mugello race
  • Revs start SuperLiga with win
  • Oakes to miss Monza race
  • Capirossi to return at Sachsenring
  • No comments: