Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Melandri expects Ducati decision this week

Melandri expects Ducati decision this week

Marco Melandri says he is likely to learn if he will race for Ducati at the Czech Grand Prix this week.

The Italian has endured a dismal season with Ducati following his switch from the Honda Gresini satellite team.

Melandri has scored 32 points in ten races, while teammate Casey Stoner has managed 187, including four victories.

Ducati said Melandri's performance in the last two races in Germany and Laguna Seca would be crucial when deciding on the rider's future. The Italian fell in Germany and finished in 16th position in the USA.

Melandri says he would like to complete the season, but he is aware that he could lose his ride, with Sete Gibernau tipped as the favourite to replace him after having tested for the team twice.

"This week will be decisive to understand whether I'll be able to complete the season on the saddle of my Ducati, or if Gibernau will take my place," Melandri wrote on his website.

"Well, I'd like to complete it: I think in these last two races a step forward was taken, and more could be forthcoming. In any case, I must really thank all the guys in my team, because this first part of the season has been hard for me as it's been for them.

"I can say that we've all been good at always staying clear-minded, even when things were disastrous: no one ever lost control and the relationships have remained very balanced. I'd truly like to get on the podium at least once for their satisfaction."



  • Melandri to keep Ducati ride for Brno
  • Coletti replaces Kimball at Prema
  • Ducati confirm 2009 Melandri split
  • Nicol hails ‘complete performance’
  • MotoGP: Ducati rule out Melandri exit before Brno
  • No comments: