Thursday, July 17, 2008

Edwards looks ahead to home race

Colin Edwards is relieved to be heading into his home race at Laguna Seca next weekend uninjured, after emerging unscathed from a crash in this afternoon's German Grand Prix at the Sachsenring.

The American was fighting hard in fifth position in torrential wet conditions when he uncharacteristically fell at Turn Seven on lap 21.

The crash brought to an end a run six-straight top-five finishes.

"Fifth was going to be the best result I could have managed today and that's a bit disappointing because in the dry I think I could have been fighting for a podium," said Edwards. "I'm just grateful I didn't get hurt in the crash because I've got my home race coming up and I desperately want to put on a good performance for the American fans at Laguna Seca."

The Tech 3 Yamaha rider qualified third for the race, but knew he was in for a difficult afternoon as soon as it began to rain.

"All I can is it was a very tough race right from the start," he said. "The conditions were not easy but I got a reasonable start and just wanted to get into a steady pace.

"But it was obvious from quite early on that it was going to be difficult. I didn’t have a lot of feel from the rear tyre and I tried everything I could to hang in there and keep a top five finish. It would have also kept my own personal good run going.

"But as the race wore on it wasn’t getting any better and I lost the rear at the downhill left-hander," he explained about the accident. "I had no warning at all and I didn't feel I was particularly pushing too hard because by that stage a podium had already gone.

"I was trying to keep Andrea Dovizioso behind me to at least finish top Michelin rider. I'd tried to follow Casey Stoner and Valentino Rossi but I just didn't have anything for them."



  • Hulkenberg thrown out of race one
  • Edwards close to new Tech 3 deal
  • Jakes wins chaotic race at Pau
  • No comments: