Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Rossi wants error-free German GP

Rossi wants error-free German GP

Valentino Rossi is aiming to leave his disappointing performance at the Dutch TT behind with a strong, error-free, race in Germany this weekend.

The Yamaha rider lost the championship lead in Assen after crashing on the first lap of the race.

Although Rossi managed to rejoin, the Italian finished in 11th place, losing the top spots in the standings to Honda's Dani Pedrosa.

Now the seven-time champion is looking to redeem himself at the German Grand Prix.

"Last year in Sachsenring I made a mistake and crashed, and at the last race in Assen I also made a mistake, so I hope that I've now had my bad moment for this year," said Rossi.

"Sachsenring has been a great track for me in the past and it's a great place to race at; it's very tight and twisty but it generally suits the Yamaha very well and in 2006 I had a fantastic race there, winning from 11th.

"We are going there having lost our championship lead but we're only four points behind so the situation is certainly much better than it was at this point last season.

"I was disappointed with myself in Assen because I missed a great chance but I have put that behind me and I am completely focused on the next race now. We need to be at 100% from the first practice and hopefully we can have a good weekend with no more mistakes."

Teammate Jorge Lorenzo says he is relaxed ahead of the Sachsenring race, the Spaniard still working on regaining his confidence and his fitness following his injuries.

"Since the accident in China I haven't been able to use the exercise bike or do proper cardiovascular work until last week, so I am just having to take my regime step-by-step to try to build my strength; I know that building my fitness back up is the best way to return to my former level," he said.

"Even though it's been a hard time for me through the last two months I think that the crashes have made me stronger mentally; when you win it's easy but when things are going badly, this is when you learn more about yourself and this is very important to make you a better competitor.

"For the next race I have to keep trying to build my confidence with the bike. Sachsenring is a complicated track and my best result there is only third, but I don't think about statistics when I race. I just want to arrive at Sachsenring feeling relaxed and do my best to enjoy it."



  • Mortara, Volkswagen savour first win
  • Capirossi to return at Sachsenring
  • Stoner in confident mood for Germany
  • Chinosi grabs pole on guest outing
  • No comments: