Sunday, July 20, 2008

Edwards signs new Tech 3 deal

Edwards signs new Tech 3 deal

Colin Edwards will remain with the Tech 3 Yamaha team in 2009 after announcing a one-year extension to his contract at his home race at Laguna Seca this weekend.

The 34-year-old American had planned to retire from MotoGP at the end of this season and return to race in America with Yamaha, but he is enjoying what he calls his best MotoGP season yet with the Tech 3 team and has signed up for another year.

"I'm very happy to renew my contract with Tech 3 and Yamaha for 2009," he said. "It's extra special for me to be able to announce it at my home race because I've always had a fantastic rapport with the American fans and a great relationship with Yamaha US.

"It's no secret that I had agreed with Yamaha to finish my MotoGP career at the end of 2008 and continue my racing with them in America, but as soon as I began working with the Tech 3 team I instantly formed a great relationship with my guys. A big part of me wanting to stay is down to them and I knew I wasn't ready to leave MotoGP before the season had even started.

"The fact that I've been able to produce the best form of my MotoGP career this season speaks volumes for the effort they've put in, and I'm happy to be staying. Everything seems to be going right and I can't complain."

Tech 3 boss Herve Ponchanal added: "Although he has only been with us for ten races, the relationship is so great that it feels like he has been part of the team for many years. With his unique personality, Colin has brought a great atmosphere to the garage, it has been a privilege to work with him and I am delighted that he has decided to stay for at least one more season."



  • Edwards close to new Tech 3 deal
  • Pedrosa tops first practice in France
  • Sealy trade gives K.C. options
  • No comments: