Thursday, May 8, 2008

Melandri sure he has turned a corner

Melandri sure he has turned a corner

Marco Melandri believes he has finally turned a corner following his poor start to the 2008 season with the Ducati team.

The Italian rider, joining world champion Casey Stoner at the Italian squad this year, struggled for pace during winter testing and in the first three races of the season managed an 11th place as his best result.

But Melandri showed improved form in China last Sunday, going on to finish in fifth position despite having qualified in 12th.

The Ducati rider is convinced he is now on the right path to fight near the top.

"I never thought about giving up, that's impossible," Melandri told the Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper.

"I came to China with the knowledge that I would have fought until the last metre, even if only for tenth place. At every race I re-set everything that had happened before.

"Now I'm not afraid that things will change again at the next race: I'm certain we are on the right track. I know some tough circuits are coming for us and we need to work on the tyres, which don't adapt perfectly to our Ducati."

Melandri, who has scored 23 points to his teammate's 56, says his season is starting now.

"The championship starts now for me," he said. "In fact, it has just started. I think from this race onwards we can only improve. Now that I can ride this bike, it will be up to me to adapt to its characteristics, while before it was the bike carrying me around the track.

"When you ride and enjoy yourself, you are able to understand what needs to be improved. For sure we need to carry on with the rideability route. I'm talking about engine and power output. I'm certain we'll be able to start doing well."



  • Melandri upbeat after breakthrough
  • Rossi takes victory in China
  • Stoner tops wet warm-up
  • Kallio leads KTM 1-2 at Shanghai
  • No comments: