Friday, May 23, 2008

Rossi 'very likely' to stay at Yamaha

Rossi 'very likely' to stay at Yamaha

Seven-time champion Valentino Rossi says he sees no reason to leave the Yamaha team now that he has a winning bike.

The Italian's current contract expires at the end of the season and he had hinted in the past that he was ready to leave if Yamaha didn't have a competitive bike this year.

But Rossi has won the last two races in China and France to take the championship lead for the first time since the start of last season.

And the Italian now looks set to stay at Yamaha, saying it is "very likely" that they will reach a new agreement.

"We are talking with Yamaha," Rossi was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport. "I had asked them for a bike to win and they've satisfied my request, so there's no reason for me to leave.

"We still need to find the agreement, but I think it's very likely that I will carry on with Yamaha for two more years."

Rossi has been encouraged by the pace of his Yamaha, which he reckons is the best machine produced by the Japanese manufacturer.

"This year's M1 is the best bike Yamaha has ever produced," he said. "The 2005 bike was excellent, but it doesn't compare with this one. I'm happy they have worked so well and they've managed to improve so much in so little time.

"I'm still hungry for victories and I think I will keep on racing for a few years more, at least while I manage to stay at the front."



  • Angel delivers first goal, win for NY
  • Rossi made to wait for bike upgrades
  • Rossi hints he will stay at Yamaha
  • Yamaha ready to renew Rossi’s contract
  • No comments: